Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My journey through recovery

Tomorrow will be my 5th meeting with the Celebrate Recovery group at my church.  I still very unsure in the meetings, not because anyone has said anything to me, it is actually quite the opposite.  Everyone is very friendly, sharing, positive, and caring.  That scares me!  I have an issue with trust.  I'm afraid to bare my soul to people.  I told the leader last week, that I will never be able to get up in front of the group.  He said that was okay, that we would be back to two smaller groups in a week.  I think that time is tomorrow.  I completed the first two lessons on the first principle/step 1.

Principle 1:  Realize I'm not God.  I admit that I am powerless to control my tendency to do the wrong thing and that my life is unmanageable.  Scripture:  Matthew 5:3  Happy are those who know they are spiritually poor.

Step 1:  We admitted we were powerless over our addictions and compulsive behaviors, that our lives had become unmanageable.  Scripture:  Romans 7:18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.  For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

As I worked through this principle/step 1 there were two lessons.  I was able to sit, think and be honest with my answers.  However when I got to the next to the last question in lesson 2 I stumbled.  I was unsure how to answer the question.  Now some people are going to read this and go "well here's some areas I can think of where this would apply."  My husband is bias and so he can't really help me on this one.  But here is the question:

Selfishness is at the heart of most problems between people.  In what areas of your life have you been selfish?

Can you answer this question honestly?  What would other people say?  What would your family answer on your behalf? 

I did write my answer down.  I felt I was honest with myself, but I'm not sure other people would agree. 

May you have a God Filled Day and Life. 
L

P.S. My husband who says he doesn't need the group, but goes to support me, stood in front of the group and shared some things with them last week....GOD is so Awesome!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Laura...I know you posted this nearly two months ago now, but I am just reading your blog for the first time.

    I just wanted to say..about the selfishness question - it doesn't matter if others agree with your answer for you and your life or not. What matters is that you are honest with yourself and with God. Healing won't take place if you aren't honest - that much (little, hehe) I know for sure.

    Always,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete