Thursday, December 2, 2010

Don't Be Afraid to Ask For Help

The economy stinks right now and because of the business that my husband is in there are times when he goes for weeks without work because of the weather, and just because it slows down at this time of year.  I work part-time at the church and freelance/ghost write but can't make more than a $100.00 a week so far and that doesn't happen very often. 

There have been times when I didn't know how we were going to pay rent, or utilities or buy groceries because of our money situation.  I've never really had to worry until this past couple of years, because I was always in Corporate America and made good money. 

Well because of the economy, weather and just life, I have had to look for resources for help.  Food stamps is a place to go for help if you need it, but there are sometimes other options.  There are many community outreach centers that offer things like a food bank, or maybe even a church that helps with utilities.  Never think there isn't some way to get help.  Just don't wait until your are about to get your lights disconnected.  My family has stepped in many times over the last year and we couldn't have made it without them. 

Although some churches don't offer this kind of assistance, the United Methodist Church here in town, helps with your utilities.  Thank You God for giving me the courage to call them.  There are other places in town that help as well.  One is called the Good Samaritan.  They have a food bank, and a store where you can buy clothes for very cheap.  I bought a really cute, long blue jean skirt to wear.  But there even have suits for men and women so if you have a job interview, go for it. 

The Texas Department of Health and Human Services does offer assistance, but more so if you have a family or children.  Look around you area and see what kind of assistance is available if you need it.  Start with your church and see what they can recommend.  I really think all churches should help some way especially for their members, but I guess I understand if they don't.

May God Bless You in All You do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment