Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Recovery: Need A Sponsor

Although I haven't been attending the meetings at church for the last month, I have been working through my first book of the Celebrate Recovery work books.  I just finished the first book and have completed Principle 3.  I have picked up the second book and have read the first page of the first lesson three times.  In this book, it says I must have a sponsor, someone who will hold me accountable but it must be someone I can trust.

Trust, that is a major word for me.  Trusting people is one of the issues I have, and still have although I'm trying to learn to trust other people.  I know God is always there with me and I trust Him.  The last few weeks working through the book, I have questioned my salvation.  I wasn't really sure I had asked Jesus to live in my heart and be a part of my life.  It didn't feel like it some days and then other days, I knew God was there, but God is always there.  Taking these first steps in Recovery, I've learned two things for sure. 
One, that I cannot fix the hurts, hangups, habits, addictive behavior or compulsive behavior alone.  Jesus has to do that or help me to do it.  Second, I have no control over my life, but God does and I have given Him that control. 

I pray every morning now and write in my journal.  When I pray, I write.  It's like writing a letter to God.  I just save the postage.  Anyway, my search for a sponsor has started.  Someone suggested I interview a few people from church, but if I have to share my deepest darkest secrets, do I want someone from my church?  I don't know that I really want a stranger, but I have to trust this person to keep what I'm telling them to themselves?  Here is the trust issue.  What will I do?  Where will I find my sponsor?  I'm sure God will lead me to the person that needs to be my accountability partner. 

Live one day at a time.  You cannot change the past, and the future is in God's hands.  Let God have control of your life and it will become a life full of joy.  Have a God Filled Day.

1 comment:

  1. Laura,
    I pray that you may find the sponsor you are looking for. I pray that you will find support and that the person you choose may keep your issues private. I am unsure of what kind of recovery you are going through, but whatever the case may you reach the level you are trying to achieve. May God bless you. May He give you strength, courage, motivation, and wisdom to carry on through this.

    I love you!
    ~~Ashley Williams

    ReplyDelete